First post office west of the Rockies ~ 1847, Astoria, Oregon
Henry W. Corbett House “A Typical Residence” is pretty much marketing speak, as the Henry Winslow Corbett mansion was anything but typical. When completed in 1875, the house, bounded by 5th and 6th Avenues, Yamhill and Taylor Streets, was considered in Portland’s suburbs. As the city grew up around it, the Pacific Building was built on the north side of the block in 1926 and the house was demolished for the Greyhound Bus depot in the mid-1930s.
Image from https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2760/4094619240_5264d3ae13_z_d.jpg.
During the 1930s, the place to go for entertainment and recreation was Swimmers’ Delight Resort. The resort was located on the Willamette Highway where it crosses the Coast Fork of the Willamette River, Oregon. This scene shows swimmers frolicking in the river near a water slide on the opposite shore. The resort was owned by G.E. Jacoby who held events at the site like rodeos, dances, baseball games, holiday picnics and more.
Incredible view of cable car heading down from Portland Heights toward Goose Hollow. Trolley is at SW 18th and Clifton. Oregon Historical Society collection.
Old wooden mill at Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain store, restaurant and bakery in Portland / Milwaukie Oregon. Click to buy the photo!
Henry W. Corbett House, 1931
corbett mansion 1931
Mt Tabor Resevoir Construction c 1910 Mt Tabor, Oregon
Wonder Bread has been available to generations of Portlanders as this 1937 advertisement on N. Vancouver Avenue attests. The view is east on Fremont Street. Love the old ads!