“There were no easy missions”. ~Captain Robert Morgan, pilot of The Memphis Belle, who never lost a crew member.
Peer Into The Past
Memphis Belle 1987
Workmen eat lunch in the shade of the Memphis Belle's wing on April 21, 1987 while others erect the dome frame of the new hangar housing the World War II B17 bomber at Mud Island in Memphis. The dome, located at the north end of Mud Island river park, was built after a fund-raising campaign saved the plane from being reclaimed by the Air Force. She is now at the Air Force Museum undergoing restoration. (Photo by Thomas Busler, The Commercial Appeal)
Captain Robert K. Morgan, a pilot of the 91st Bomb Group and his crew are adressed by Lieutenant-General Devers in front of their B-17 Flying Fortress nicknamed "The Memphis Belle". Printed caption on reverse: 'Not For Publication Before 00.30 June 10th. Flying Fortress Returns To U.S.A. After 25 Operations. June 1943. At an 8th Army Air Station somewhere in England, Lt.-Gen. Jacob L. Devers, and Major-General Ira. C. Eaker, bidded fare-well to the Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle"
Memphis Belle -- The pilot of the aircraft, Bob Morgan, originally intended to call her Little One, after his pet name for his fiancee, Margaret Polk. However, fate intervened when the crew caught a film starring John Wayne and Joan Blondell called Lady for a Night. Blondell's character was nicknamed Memphis Belle and, as the crew clearly enjoyed the film and Morgan had close links with the state capital, the name Little One was replaced by Memphis Belle.